Sunday, September 30, 2012

Delicate Delicacies

So my flatmate, Courtney, and I have gone to two events of the Scottish Reeling Society for the University. Trying something new while abroad is a must isn't it? Even if it is weird or strange.  But these guys are not weird or strange, in fact, it is very interesting how "normal" they seem.  I feel that in the states (at least at Alabama) this activity wouldn't be cool enough and would be relegated to the realm of the anime kids and over-excited bunch.  Please don't take it the wrong way if you are lumped into this group: I, myself, have one foot in and the other tip-toeing away from the "kool kids".  My point is, that university here, or maybe even culture in general, seems more open to those groups of people and those activities that seem to scare off so many Americans.  I find that interesting. 



Anywho, the first night that we met up with the group was for their social.  Apparently clubs, or societies, do this thing here where they try to hang out at least once a week and go drinking and what have you.  While clubs back home hang out very regularly, I don't think I have come across one that does this sort of organized thing yet.  And while I do enjoy this idea, as it is more likely to inspire a family kind of environment, it is odd to me, probably because I can't even get into bars back home.

But everyone was very friendly, very kind, very smiley.  I loved it.  I can't wait to get to know them and their sport more.

Saturday was even better.  We went to a brunch with the group and tried some traditional Scottish food.  The oat cakes and butter-honey was delicious, but the other two were rather unsettling.  And it really didn't help that the other guys at our table couldn't stop talking about what they actually were.  The first we tried was haggis.  It really doesn't look gross, but it had a very interesting texture.  It was like sausage, but too soft.  Probably because it has some kind of grain in it, unlike sausage? Please correct me if that is wrong.  Then came the black pudding.  It also reminded me of sausage, and it really doesn't look bad until you bite into it and look inside.  The inside looks like congealed blood, well because it is, and that's where my stomach got me.  Granted, I didn't vomit (I have a pretty strong stomach), I did get queasy, but I did manage to finish the entire little slice.  I think that is better than having it sitting on your plate for you to look at and think more about every time you look down.  It had that same sort of oddly soft texture, which is what, I do believe, got me.  It just isn't like anything back home, or anything I've ever tasted.  Oh well, the Scottish Reeling guys were great fun and really helpful (we asked them a few questions about how our classes worked). I think I will pay the dues and join up fully, we'll see.

"It's just a wee sheep stomach."

The Dish for Vampires, Black Pudding
They don't look yummy at all in these pictures, do they?

No comments:

Post a Comment