Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Frazzled

Does anyone else remember Miss Frizzle from the Magic School Bus?  I loved her, I think she is the reason I loved all my teachers so much (besides the fact that they all were awesome and important in my life anyway).  I think she was the one that got me so obsessed with exploring, and completely unable to just pick one topic. Lord knows she couldn't stay in one place for longer than thirty minutes, or however long it took to finish the book.

Where are we going today?


But that is completely tangential.  I just thought of that because of my title "Frazzled."  Sorry.

My real subject for this post is the matter of housing.  I know I have mentioned this before but today's post is for reals, 'cause this is getting serious.  I still don't know where I am living and I am leaving in fifteen days. What?!

I don't blame anyone for this, and I am not frustrated with Aber as a university or institution or anything along those lines, I would just like to express my concern over the fact that I haven't heard yet.  I am a notoriously anal planner and organizer (as I have also mentioned before), so not having major details like these yet is allowing my procrastination side to take root.  This I do not want, because I still have a lot to do and because I want to approach this new school year organized and refreshed.

Apparently, there have been policy changes at Aber that affect how they are doling out housing and how efficiently this is happening? I don't know for sure.  All I know (actually I am just pretty sure because I didn't actually receive confirmation of this from my study abroad advisor here) is that I am contracted for housing.  This meaning that Aber must provide me housing for my time abroad, just as any students sent to the University of Alabama for study abroad from Aber will also be guaranteed unniversity housing.

Where I lay my head is pretty important for me.  When I prepare for a new year at Alabama, I, first off, knew my housing by the end of the last year, but I meticulously plan out my abode.  I have been known to get onto the housing office's website and find the floor plan, find pictures, and then sketch it all out and place my furniture - posters, lamps, bookcase, everything - into the design.  I lay everything out and come up with multiple options for how things can be placed and furniture rearranged.  I warned you of my OCD, did I not?

I am definitely the kind of person that is not content with one way of things for very long.  I love to move furniture halfway through the semester, and move things around.  I am not very settled, not even in my own space.  For me, things just get stale and uninspiring if kept the same way for too long.  Par example, in my childhood home there were four true bedrooms (there was also a basement bedroom I was terrified of). In the ten years we lived there, I had claimed each room, except the master, as my own for some period of time.  I don't like being in one setting too long. I know, I know, my mind is too far into the future to be safe.  I digress once more, I apologise.

I long to know where I will be staying so I can virtually explore the halls and walls of the place over and over again, obsessively, until the day I board the plane.  Perhaps though, this is a way God is telling me to learn patience.  I cannot know.

Cannot wait to walk this beach and that hill.


I will find out soon enough.

UPDATE: Of course I find out today.  The day after posting this.  I am uber excited now!! I just read my offer for accommodation at the Sea-Front Residences!! You can barely spot the pastel-painted row houses all the way at the end of the line of buildings in the picture above.  I will do another post about my housing before I leave: today maybe? I have nothing better to do....

1 comment: