Friday, September 14, 2012

Break Up


Haha jk. Nope, nothing dramatic (like I would have a boyfriend at this point in time?), just thought I would break up the background posts I'm doing on Aberystwyth - and I feel like writing about something more akin to my opinion.

This was hilarious, I thought she was an avocado.
I just got done watching Angus, Thongs, and Perfect Snogging.  I've heard quite a bit about this movie, especially on the Tumblr train, but I had yet to watch.  I found this particular one on YouTube. I know, that is probably completely illegal.  I really enjoyed it though.  While it was light and funny, I think it had a very interesting underlying message, well-masked, of course, by cheesy pre-teen chick flick trappings.  I liked that she started her attempts at winning Robbie, by being "mature".  She acted like most women try to act when they first start chasing guys.  She researched obsessively, even "stalked" him (although I admit, I've done the same, and don't you deny that you have too, ladies), and manipulated every situation she could to get in with him, when he really it was "obvious" (in movie body language) that he liked her when she was being herself.  Like most of us, I think, she finally got it when everything went wrong, when she lost her friends, and got the guy so angry he yelled at her and called her selfish. In the end, though, she really did mature through her experiences.  She was willing to go all the way to New Zealand, didn't even complain about the move after Robbie confessed his affections, and she put her family (loved ones) first.  I genuinely like that moral, just be yourself and don't act like a twerp.

Another thing that was really interesting about this film was the script.  There was so much slang, I was worried they were speaking another language at times; which, they were.  But it got me curious, and since I am only five days out I am also in my obsessively (and I mean obsessive) research-y phase.  It's because I am excited and antsy so don't judge, please.  I immediately started Googling "British slang", "British English vs. American English", etc., etc.  I have looked at similar searches before, but it is funny what you find when you are so eager to actually know the answer.

I found a pretty good sight that even has a slang translator.  Apparently it is something I need, because, embarrassingly, I did not even know what a "yank" is.  Its me. I'm a yank.  That is something I think I should know.  The site is translatebritish.com.  It is a user-run site, so there's always the chance that something is not explained quite right or whatever.  The site also humorously warns Americans utilizing the site that they should not use any words listed on the site, for fear of sounding like a "wanker".  Awesome, right?

On a more serious note. I know I should be ignoring this, or at least not worrying about it, but the attacks on Americans frighten me.  I really don't want to be a Natalie Holloway or any such girl-gone-missing-abroad.  My heart goes out to those that are in the areas in conflict.  And not just the Americans, but everyone.  Turmoil, chaos, anger: these are things that turn all our worlds upside down and mar us forever.  I have been blessed to never have to go through change so hurriedly or negatively, and I thank God for this everyday.  I hope that people can realize that the words and opinions of a few Americans, are not the views of all of us.  Many of us feel so differently and abhor the mockery and jeering of others.  I wish the world could move past hurting anyone, but mostly, hurting the innocent to get back at the guilty.

I ask for prayers of protection as I go abroad.  I know things are not tumultuous in the West yet, but things can change so quickly.  I am only five days out from my trip and so thrilled to have such an opportunity, but I do grow more worried as I am monitoring the situation.  Thank you all for your support and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment