Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Ducks in a Row

Okay, they aren't exactly in a row and they're just the treads on my tub, but they're cute!
Paperwork is done: tickets are bought: bags are packed.  I am ready to go.  I packed almost all day today and then cleaned my room and bathroom before I leave.  Packing has definitely been a long process.  I started a few weeks ago by putting everything in my closet that I wanted to bring on one side, and everything that I knew I didn't need on the other.  Same with my mini dresser, but with drawers.  I went through this list over the next few weeks a lot, shifting things back and forth, but I went from half my wardrobe coming (which is a lot) to only what I need.  Here's my list of clothing:


  • 2 weeks of underwear
  • 6 bras
    • 2 t-shirt, 1 strapless, 1 push-up, 2 sport
  • 3 skirts
    • 2 maxis, 1 mini
  • 7 dresses
    • 2 high-low,  1 shirt, 1 sweater-ish, 2 maxis, and 1 midi
  • 2 thermal tops
  • 5 pairs of sport bottoms
    • 1 sweatpants/warm-ups, 2 running shorts, 1 pair of spandex (for volleyball), 1 pair Soffe's
  • 3 pairs of tights
  • 5 pairs of socks
    • 2 ankle socks, 2 athletic socks, 1 thigh highs
  • 7 long sleeve tops
    • 2 button-down, 2 t-shirts
  • 12 tops
    • 2 fitted tees, 5 t-shirts, 4 tank tops, 1 lace over shirt
  • 3 pairs of jeans
  • 1 khaki pant
  • 1 khaki trench
  • 3 cardigans
    • 1 nice thick pull-on
  • 4 sweaters
    • 2 knit, 2 t-shirts
As far as shoes go, I have 9 pairs: knee-high boots, black keds, running shoes, Seychelles oxford heels, black oxford wedges, mocassins, and a pair of deena & ozzy floral flats.
I really won't go into jewelry too much, but I have quite a selection of earrings - from feathered dreamcatchers to simple blue studs - and a few necklaces and basic bracelets.  I also am bringing 3 belts, 2 pairs of sunglasses, and quite a few scarves.  Only 2 purses are packed, and I am not using them while travelling.

Next comes the miscellany.  I have to make sure to pack my meds.  I have my prescriptions for three months (talk to your doctor about this, it's awesome), but I also bought some Unisom to help me sleep on the plane, Airborne, Benadryl and Neosporin, and Aleve which is my all around drug.  My toiletries are, surprisingly all packed with me: my plan was to buy them over there, but my mom has insisted that I have all of them - shampoo, conditioner, face/body wash, cotton swabs, etc..  I have 2 makeup palettes of eyeshadow and blush, a few tubes of lip gloss, beauty balm and powder (and my brush pack of course).  I have my perfume.  It is the one thing that I cannot sacrifice: I am obsessed with scent, oddly.  I am only bringing one color of nail polish; because, while I love to have painted nails, I know I will want to buy colors over there and the weight of those little bottles add up quickly, just like perfume.

I do not plan to have too many electronics.  I hope to buy an alarm clock there, and use my phone until I can do so.  I have my iPod and my camera as the only little side pieces: both have cords, and my camera has a wall-plug in battery charger.  I, of course, will bring my computer, and for all this I need some adapters.  Funnily, Britain has two types of plug - I think depending on the age of the building? - they are three pronged but one has cylindrical rods and the other more rectangular.  I now have two of the rectangular, which is most common, but I also have an adapter with the other style, just in case.  I have a couple of European adapters as well, and a converter.  I was told that nothing I am taking with me should really require conversion, but I got one just in case.

I could write out everything I am taking, but there are a lot of miscellaneous things, that are specifically mine. I packed some little decorations for my room, some gifts to give to the lovelies at the international office, and some other random little things that give me a little peace to have with me.  Here are a few pictures of my process:





I wanted to try to do a video, but I don't really have the resources to do it the way I want yet, so I will hopefully try this later on.  I am so excited about tomorrow!!  

Thanks y'all,
Jessa

1 comment:

  1. 9 pairs of shoes? I'm going to try to live with two until I buy a pair of Wellies there.

    So, embarassingly, I have mailed three boxes already and I'm mailing another on Thursday. That's how I'm getting away with 1 suitcase, methinks. Plus, you know that's mostly sheets and some basic cooking stuff.

    Not to hijack or anything. Can't wait to meet you on Friday!

    ReplyDelete