Monday, September 17, 2012

Longest Place Name in the World

So I am so sorry that I am basically spamming these posts on Aberystwyth history, but I totally did not know how many posts it would take or how long.  I am trying really hard to not skip as much as possible.  And I know they're long, which means I am not double-checking my spelling and grammar, and I apologize if it is, seriously, just terrible.  I don't know if I'll be able to finish them all today, as I think blogger might toss some limits at me, but I will do my best.  And then tomorrow I will hopefully be able to do the post that I have planned.

But I wanted to break up the monotony for you guys with a fun little tidbit.  Guess what? The longest place name in the world is in Wales! The name of the town itself means, "The church of St. Mary in the hollow of white hazel trees near the rapid whirlpool by St. Tysilio's of the red cave."  I wish I knew the Welsh or found a break down to tell you what means what in the name, but I do know that "llan" means "church" which is at the beginning of the name.  The name itself is....

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch

Here is a picture of the town's sign:



The name of this town, while the "longest", only holds that title because the town has a sign stating its name.  If we were to look for the longest place name in the world, you must consider native tongues (which the Welsh name is) and the Thai name for Bangkok is probably the longest name in the world. With this name I can break down the meaning (I found a chart) so here goes!

The full name is:

Krungthepmahanakonbowornratanakosinmahintarayudyayamahadiloponoparatanarajthaniburiromudomrajniwemahasatarnamornpimarnavatarsatitsakattiyavisanukamphrasit

The meaning can be broken down thusly:

Meaning:  
krungthep mahanakhon
The land of angels, the great city of
amorn rattanakosin
immortality, various of devine gems,
mahintara yudthaya mahadilok pohp
the great angelic land unconquerable,
noparat rajathanee bureerom
land of nine noble gems, the royal city, the pleasant capital,
udomrajniwes mahasatarn
place of the grand royal palace,
amorn pimarn avaltarnsatit
forever land of angels and reincarnated spirits,
sakatattiya visanukram prasit
predestined and created by the highest devas.

So how is that for a fun fact! I will be speaking to you guys more soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment