Monday, September 24, 2012

The Journey Onward

So I guess I will finally sit down to write about my trip out to Aberystwyth.

The airport stuff was easy (I've done it enough, so I think I get the gist of it).  My parents and I checked in my large bag a few hours ahead of time so we could eat lunch without worrying about having to go through security. Which was good, because check-in and security got pretty busy by the time we came back.  But everything went smoothly: in fact, it was the smoothest plane excursion I have ever done.  I popped right from security onto my plane from Dublin and then took my time (and admittedly got a little confused) getting to the international terminal.  I did have a little wait here to relax, but the plane ride was very easy, and we actually got in almost an hour ahead of schedule.  Customs was probably the longest part of the trip, because there were five or six planes with 300, if not more, people on each that came in around the same time, but it really wasn't that bad: people watching is a fun hobby to partake in when people's bodies think it is 3 o'clock in the morning.

A fresh flower stand on Grafton Street.
I got the airport shuttle down to the Dublin City Centre - the Temple Bar area, in fact - and then lugged my way towards St. Stephen's Green, with my hotel just outside the park.  I arrived there around 9, but check in  time was not until 1, so they graciously took my 100 pounds of luggage, and I went and got some food.  I also did a little shopping at the mall area there and got some toiletries I needed and a couple things for my room - although, I wish I had gotten hangers there, as they are difficult to find here - and by the time I had walked Grafton Street fully and popped over to Trinity College it was time to go back to my room.  Now here's where I get really boring.

I checked in, watched and fell asleep to a movie, then woke up and organized my things.  Turns out, the lock on my backpack wasn't sturdy if kept on the security code, and it opened while I was walking and my giraffe-print neck pillow was sacrificed to the streets of Dublin.  I had no desire to look for it, I didn't really even use it, so I finished that and went to bed, again.  I woke up around dinner time and debated going to get food, but I wasn't hungry, so all I needed to do was order my taxi for the next morning and ask for a wake-up call.  Then I went to bed until four the next morning.  Such an adventurer, right?  I was just too exhausted and dehydrated to do anything else, really.

The next day of travelling was long.  I woke up at four and got ready, checked out and met my taxi on the curb.  The cabbie was very nice and for some reason he gave me two dollars off of my tab, even though I wanted to give him a tip for being so nice.  I was at the ferry early, and ended up checking in my large bag, which was a blessing.  But while doing that, I bumped into this nice lady with whom I ended up talking until her train stop in Wrexham, but I am getting ahead of myself.  The ferry ride was only two hours long, but for some reason it was the worst boat ride I've been on.  I've never been sea sick in my life (that I can remember) but this time I was terribly so.  I could not have gotten to Holyhead fast enough.  The train was quick and easy and when I arrived at Aberystwyth I was worried I would have to scoot my luggage all the way to the residences, but the Aber Heroes met us there and took our big bags in a bus for us.  The group of going to Seafront still walked, because it is only .6 miles, and it was lovely to be able to see part of the town.

The Holyhead train station.


My room is lovely, I am actually in Caerleon, and I share my flat with 6 other people.  There are two more American girls, a German girl, and a French guy and a Spanish guy.  So far there has been drinking involved with both nights I've been here, and I am just not sure how I am going to handle that.  I have made the decision to try and not drink while here, because it really just counteracts everything that I am trying to do, but it is kind of hard to get away from, without feeling like I am relegating myself to the corner.  I guess I am already feeling homesick (actually, I've been feeling homesick since we left California, and since school started in Tuscaloosa), and that is probably why I'm feeling a little socially wary and unsure.  I am an introvert anyways.

This one doesn't really cover everything that happened or anything like that, but I just wanted to get something down and push past the writer's block I've got going on.

Thanks dolls, talk to ya soon.

Jessa

No comments:

Post a Comment