Saturday, September 29, 2012

Culture Shock

A whisper of wind through the willow,
A touch of that orange's tang,
Words do not come which give strength
Only soundness of mind to stay on.

A desire that deep within dwells,
A call of craving that softly comes,
Sensations are nearly lost
Save memory in mind to be strong.

Just one example of the natural beauty that I miss so much.

I'm going to come clean.  I am homesick already.  I looked over the four stages of culture shock this morning to find that I may have just hopped right over the first stage, the honeymoon phase.

I feel like, though, this isn't so odd as it seems.  I mean, I have pretty interesting extenuating circumstances.  I moved in July from my "home" (even though I only lived three full years there, it is where I grew into who I am), all the way across the country.   I guess if I went by amount of time spent in a place, I am from Alabama, but I feel like California is my "home".  At least for the moment: I do think I am a bit too wandering to really find a settled home anywhere.

Anyways, I feel like this move, has forced me to already go through stages of culture shock anyways and I have been homesick for the sunny and green skies of Fresno (there's quite a bit of pollution) for quite some time before I left.  I do hope that this has not caused negativity to come out in my interactions with the people that I know are still in that nice honeymoon phase of travel, but I believe I am more in the frustration stage.  And I want to get to understanding, even if it does take forcing myself into uncomfortable situations and out of my comfort zone.  Maybe being in this position will allow me to make it to the acclimation stage of things before the end of the year.  

Just musing. 

Thanks y'all

No comments:

Post a Comment