Friday, August 24, 2012

Useful Welsh Phrases

Here is another tip the lovely ladies at the Study Abroad Office gave us: learn the language.

If you are going to a country or area that isn't predominantly english-speaking, let's be honest, you should already know the language.  It is pretty crucial so you can understand professors that teach their classes in the native tongue.  This is also an important factor to not be so "American" (it's a stereotype I'm not proud to propagate, but one that I have seen often).  Many people think that we are so arrogant, that we believe that the rest of the world should learn English so we don't have to go through the hassle of learning another language ourselves.

But it really does help if you can say "hello, please, excuse me, sorry," just the basics really.  Another big thing to know, that really helps peoples attitude to you and your travel woes, is how to say, "Do you speak English?"

One, it is easier for them to understand, perhaps they simply don't know English at all and are not the ones to help you, but, truly, this lets them know that you are trying to experience their culture, not just trying to push them out of your way to the nearest tourist attraction or barge into their town and stomp around like Godzilla did to Tokyo (there was definitely a language barrier there).  Knowing how to say basic phrases lets people know that you travel to learn, not just to amass as many passport stamps as your little booklet can hold (which they have rarely done for me, anyways).

So, I'll stop lecturing you about being an annoying American and let you in on how this applies to my own situation.  Wales is a region of the U.K. steeped in its own rich history.  Even though Wales was brought under the English banner in 1282 it is so geographically separated from the rest of the island that it really has had a chance to flourish all on its own.

Celtic languages were the original languages of the native peoples in the British Isles, and Wales of course has its own.  Quite a few of them are slowly fading into the history books (a true shame if you ask me, as I am a lover of language).  Welsh, however, is not a dying language, at all.  In fact, a whole population in Wales speaks it as their first language.  The university, itself, is one of the few (or the only one?)  that has lectures in Welsh and whole courses and learning paths taught in the language.  I've received a couple of emails from the University now, and they are bilingual, but I will be honest I was terrified when the first email began, "Annwyl Jessika."  Then I saw the line explaining that the email was bilingual and breathed a sigh of relief.  However, this has led me to think that I should learn a few basic phrases, even if it does end up being just for the hell of it.  

Cymraeg is the first word to know as it is the word for Welsh, but here are some other helpful phrases I am going to try to keep in mind
Croeso = Welcome
Helo/S'mae = Hello
Sut Mae (informally)/Sut Ydych Chi (formally) = How are you?
Da iawn Diolch. A Chitau? = I'm fine, thanks. And you?
Beth ydy'ch enw chi? = What's your name?
Bore da = Good Morning
Prynhawn Da = Good Afternoon
Noswaith Dda = Good Evening
Nos Da = Good night
Hwyl = Good bye
Siaradwch Yn Arafach, Os Gwelwch Yn Dda = Please speak more slowly.
Esgusodwch Fi = Excuse me.
Faint Yw Hwn (masculine)/ Hon (Feminine) = How much is this?
Sori = Sorry.
Diolch Yn Fawr = Thank you.
Ble Mae'r Toiled = Where's the toilet?
Ydych Chi'n Siarad Saesneg? = Do you speak English?
And the ever important:  Iechyd Da = Cheers!!

My pronunciation will be horrendousm yes, and I am sure that I won't often run into people that don't speak at least a little English, but it would be interesting to converse basically with some people in a tongue that is both rugged and beautiful.  


A Welsh Dragon, the Symbol on the Regional Flag
Update: I think I will add words as I pick them up on the street. Maybe I will write some down, but I'm not promising anything.

Llyfrau - Books
Llyfrgell - Library
Siop - Shop
Plant - Kids (or Kids' Dept.)
Dan-y-Coed - (pretty darn sure) Dead End
Heddlu - Ambulance
Y Popty - The Oven (it's a bakery in town)


No comments:

Post a Comment