Thursday, August 16, 2012

Samantha Brown

Yes, crazy obsessed

I love travel shows.  It makes sense seeing as I also love travel.  A lot of these shows are categorized by their hosts (It's hard to start one show that can encompass travel all throughout the world).  My favorite travel host has to be Samantha Brown.  I have watched her show since I was little, and most of the time I had to sneak it, because my family always complained (actually they still do) about what I watch.  When I came home in May, I was waking up at 5 or 6 AM and I would pop on the t.v. to watch the Weather Channel (I've done this since I was little, too).  One day I got tired of Al Roker's face all over my screen and flipped through the guide.  Lo and behold Samantha Brown's Passport to Europe was on.  I quickly switched over, hit the record button on the DVR, and made a promise to wake up and watch every morning.  I justified this as research for my upcoming year in Europe, as I do sincerely hope to be able to afford traveling to at least a few other countries.

This morning routine was duly interrupted by our moving, and when I turn on the Travel Channel here in Atlanta at 6, there is no Samantha Brown.  Disappointment? I do believe so.  So today, I am reading her blog, getting her packing tips, and scouring her portion of the Travel Channel website to continue my "research" (really it's boredom and excitement).

I actually recommend this. I know that I am crazy OCD about planning, which is unnecessary, but I do recommend researching experienced travelers before going.  So many places recommend travel guides and maps and junk, but what student really wants room in their suitcase for that? There are more important things to stuff in - namely clothing.  And books and maps will still be available, at least where I am going.  but even then, you could look for travel guides once you pass security. Many an airport has a Hudson Booksellers or the like.  Read and research until you feel you know the basics of the area you are going to. Know some basic places to eat or remember a hostel/hotel that you could stay at if something goes wrong in other travel plans.  I have a mini Moleskin notebook I jot notes in.  This is my advice.

What are some travel guides that you find helpful? I'd love to find more options for research.

Thanks y'all,
Jessa

No comments:

Post a Comment