Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Cerddoriaeth

A Welsh Crwth
I've felt like being lazy these past couple of days, probably because I haven't been feeling all too well.  I know I promised posts every other day while I am in still in the states, and, even though I am not feeling much inspired, part of becoming a good writer is writing past the blocks and the blahs.  So I apologize in advance if this post seems a little dry of verve, but you still love me, right?

As many of my lazy days are comprised of listening to music, I thought I would post a little bit about that music which makes me long for the British countryside.  I've always been very interested in music hopping across the pond, but lately I have found myself immersing in a culture of music which is rustically authentic to the country I'll be visiting.  In case you didn't know this, much of what we know as country music is founded in the tradition of bards and lutes and such of medieval Europe. The kind of folky-country music I enjoy definitely enthralls because of its similarities to traditional "celtic" folk music.  I am wholly hypnotized by  anything that reverberates with like tones.  They just feel like home to me.

A few years ago, I bought this CD only because it had the word celtic on it (I have an obsessive personality when I go through these kinds of phases) and to this day that CD is one of my favorites.  This is so geeky of me, but I stumbled upon a PBS broadcast of the group, Celtic Woman, performing at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta.  I of course got uber excited when they mentioned that the ladies were coming to the area for their Christmas tour because really their voices are like fresh honey straight from the waxy honeycomb.  They just conjure images of such beauty and peace in your head.  By the way, I believe the best music is able to force you to imagine a story, a scene, a life: it should invoke emotions that you can't escape from until the last note fades away.

Anywho, needless to say, I have these women and a few other magical voices on repeat on my computer while I pack and prep for this journey to a land that I so desperately want to call home.

One of my favorite songs and just a taste of what these ladies can do.

Love y'all,
Jessa

No comments:

Post a Comment