Sunday, August 19, 2012

Stereotypes

ster-e-o-type: (noun) a widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing


Hard to Read UK (and Ireland) Stereotype Map


So they've (they being our counselors and such at the International office at Bama) told us to open our minds past the pre-conceived notions we may already have of people in our host country. Since I've been to the U.K. before, I kinda get that not everyone walks around in a bowler hat and pinstripe suit with a pocket watch and the Times paper under their arm.  I also understand that tea is tea, and while very popular in the U.K. not everyone is as widely obsessed (this dissapoints, but oh well).

Having not been to Wales, nor having meant any Welsh people (at least not to my knowledge), I cannot disparage the stereotypes of them. And in fact, I cannot even say that I knew many of those stereotypes before I began researching for my year abroad.  The two that always seem to come up are that they are "sheep-shaggers" (I promise, I do not take this one seriously at all) and that they are cheap.  The cheap one, I think ties into the stereotype that they are thrifty.  I prefer thrifty.

I like to think that Wales will be like "the California of the U.K." All about recycling and fresh, local produce. I am all into that, and I actually already miss that about California. In the South, where we are now and where I go to school, it is totally possible to get fresh produce. I think what makes it feel different is that nothing is truly in walking distance, like things were in Fresno.

Sorry about the tangent.  A couple other stereotypes I've gleaned about the U.K. in general are that the people are rather impolite - bad customer service isn't uncommon in the U.S. though - and rude, that they are cynical and all of these jolly good traits are caused by the lack of Vitamin D that can make it through all the thick, gray clouds.

These, I think are the most well known stereotypes for Brits (I hope that un-offensively encompasses everyone). I think, though, that I am more aware and more afraid of the stereotypes that Brits may have about Americans (another sidenote: The first time I visited the U.K. was the week after all of the anti-American demonstrations in 2009). I know that most of the world sees us as arrogant, loud, obnoxious, ostentatious, and uncultured. Of course, some of us have to have been when interacting with others, or the stereotypes wouldn't have come around, but I hope that I will not be lumped into the category of stereotypical American once people meet me abroad.  I know plenty of people who would ask all of us from the U.S.A. that are abroad to be good ambassadors of American culture.

What are some stereotypes that you have about the place you are visiting, or what are some stereotypes you have about us Americans? It's all in the name of some good, tea-sippin', crumpet munchin', pinky raisin' fun.

Almost Completely Inaccurate US Stereotype Map


Love y'all,
Jessa

No comments:

Post a Comment