Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Love and Other Disasters

Never will I be able to look quite so adorable.
I just finished this movie, so on the endorphin high that good rom-coms usually leave you with I write to tell you that I loved it. It was cute and bubbly and funny (and honestly, the Argentinian love interest reminded me of someone I wish I had the guts to get in touch with again). It is a typical sort of knotted-love comedy, with people putting themselves and others into the most awkward positions and, yet, somehow they get themselves out of it in the most lovable ways. They all end up happily ever after, as a pre-requisite, of course, even if the story might feel a tad forced.
     I didn't realize that Brittany Murphy was the female lead until I started it - like I can't read her huge name printed above the movie title - and I am sure that her character's background was switched up so as to explain her poorly-veiled American accent. I still liked her character and the story, however.
     The movie felt very realistic and true, even for a rom-com, and perhaps that was because of the "meta" aspect of it. It fades in and it fades out to the typeset of the script, with the camera movements superimposed over the action, and there are moments when the script toes the line of breaking the fourth wall by clearly poking fun at the stereotypical situation comedy that the characters move through. And the entire body plays up the typical gay-best-friend aspect of its genre.
     In fact, I think the turning point for my liking the film so much more than I could was this aspect. They not only make the lead female have her own revelations about her love-life, but the gay best friend, as well. He is actually the one writing the script (in the full meta jacket perspective). He is the one with the more obvious, even more relatable (someone please tell me the correct word for this, apparently "relatable" doesn't exist?) problem with relationships - he romanticizes them in his head until no one can live up to the expectations he has. It was nice to watch this blossom, perhaps because that is so my problem (why do you think I can't get the courage to message the person I can't stop thinking about?).
     All-in-all, this movie was so cute. Perfect for a night in with a glass of wine and popcorn (with no salt and no butter, though, because looking at Brittany Murphy's waifish form for about 90 minutes will also have you a teensy bit jealous).

The perfect relationship, almost.

No comments:

Post a Comment