Thursday, October 11, 2012

Starlings


It's funny.  I think of myself as "from" so many places, but I've found one thing in each on of those places: the starling.  A common enough bird, but it is one of those things I find somewhat reassuring, like Orion's belt.  Almost everywhere I've gone I can be sure to find a flock of starlings floating like a wisp of black cloud in the sky.  Seeing them comforts me, I guess, because I know that my family could be seeing the same kind of bird at that exact moment (if they were awake).  It's a little weird I know, but things like that are comforting when it feels like so much is different here.

I am missing the shops back home.  The pricing that I love because I don't have to do conversions every time I want to go buy lunch or just a basic white tshirt for the socials.  The nightlife that I can't go to and waste my money on because I am too young (at least for a little bit).  A couch and t.v. so I could just watch a movie instead of going out for the night.  The structure of the classes which seems so micromanaging compared to all of the "free time" here.

But, I don't want to spend an entire post just to complain.  Complaining is useless, and negativity is unneeded. I do apologize to my flatmates if it seems I am complaining a lot.  It something that so easily slips out, but I am working hard to stop myself and see the positives.  I know that all of these things, all of these experiences will teach me so much.  The anger and frustration I am feeling over all these little issues are just forcing me to grow and mature.

I know there will be times when I feel a little lost, but I am still settling in: it's only week three.  My advice to any other people studying abroad out there is to do what I am attempting.  Find the positive. Don't close yourself off because you are homesick, and don't let yourself push people away with negative comments or snips.  You'll make it through it.  All you need to do is push through and force yourself to make conversation or leave your room to check out a new restaurant, little things, and I promise you will grow past it.  That's my goal, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment